The National Endowment for the Arts has released "Artists in the Workforce: 1990-2005," a study on the impact of artists on the American economy. The report defines architects and designers as artists.
A few of the findings:
- Median income for architects: $58,000, "the highest income of all artists."
- Median income for male architects: $63,000
- Median income for female architects: $46,300
- Median age: 43
- "Architects, writers and producers show the highest education levels."
- "Women remain underrepresented in several artist occupations. Four out of five architects ... are men."
- Top 10 states for architects (per capita): Massachusetts, Colorado, Washington, Vermont, Hawaii, New York, Connecticut, Oregon, Maryland and California.
- Top 10 metro areas for architects (per capita): Santa Fe, San Francisco, Boulder-Longmont, Charlottesville, Seattle, Boston, Stamford-Norwalk, Danbury, Trenton, Oakland.
- In 1990, there were 167,151 architects nationwide. By 2000, that number had jumped to 192,860. By 2005, it's estimated there were 198,498 architects. (U.S. census)