Thursday, February 08, 2007


Winter Sunshine
One of the underrated features of the new Minneapolis Public Library, designed by Cesar Pelli, is the abundance of light. Although I haven't been officially diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder --- winter depression -- I seek out sunlight where ever I can. Before this winter, I submitted myself to security forces at the U.S. Federal Courthouse in downtown Minneapolis. After passing through massive metal detectors, I'd settle in at the Law Library on the 11th floor and enjoy warm sun from the south facing windows. But now there's a new sun worshipping spot: the 4th floor of the new library. On the south side of the building, Pelli placed a row of glass between his prow and the top floor administrative offices. So there I was on the 4th floor of the library, near the geneaology section, leaning back in my chair, eyes closed, basking in the sun. After just a minute or two of relaxation, a man taps me on my shoulder: "Sir, are you all right?" Yes, I'm fine. Just enjoying the sun, I replied. Top notch security here too. Now if we could only get the building open on Sundays and Mondays. To listen to my radio story on the new library, click here. (Photo by Todd Melby)

No comments: